Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Run for Boston.

Whew, it's been a crazy week in both workouts and life.

I've knocked out a Body Pump class and a spin class. And two bombs went off at the mecca of all races: the Boston Marathon.

I know it's not the most horrific tragedy America has ever faced, I know three casualties is nothing compared to the soldiers we're losing overseas, but it hit home hard. We were in the middle of a fundraiser in my office when my co-worker came over and said that two bombs had gone off at the Boston Marathon. I immediately felt sick. I don't have anyone close to me who was running the race, no one close to me even in the city itself, but I still reacted as though I did.

I think it's because runners are all family. And races are our reunions.

I know the emotion you get as you're rounding that last half mile of a race, I know the tears that come as you cross the finish line, I know the chaos in trying to find your loved ones once you cross the finish line. It's amazing and exhausting at the same time. It's "I can't wait to do this again" and "I'm never racing again" wrapped into one. The emotion that comes with racing is what keeps me racing.

And to have such a triumphant moment marred by such senseless violence is sickening. It's heartbreaking. My thoughts were with runners on the course who had most-likely picked a place to meet up with their families at the finish, with those people who were rounding the last mile of their first 26.2 mile journey, those who had just finished and those who were about to finish, those who were cheering others on, and those who were senselessly injured.

I can't imagine the confusion and chaos everyone must have been feeling. It made me angry and it made me cry.

But how do we combat this? My advice to my fellow runners is: don't get angry, get sweaty. Hit the pavement and go run. Run it out. Run it down. Run it over.

There is an article on CNN.com that I think sums it up pretty well:
"I know as sure as I breathe that in all the depressing, bewildering hours since the attacks, that this has been the answer from runners all across our land.


They have strapped on their shoes, stepped outside and in silent tribute they have run. They have run in defiance of those who would presume upon our freedom. They have run in respect for those who died or who were hurt cheering on this silly sport we love. They have run as we've always run, to test the limits of human possibility; not to defeat others, but to improve ourselves.

They have run as I will run...for Boston."
I haven't run since Monday. But when I do, I'll run for Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment