Thursday, June 30, 2011

Belly Breathing

I've had a few runs I haven't posted about. Saturday morning I had to get up at 6 a.m. to get a run in, but I did it. Wasn't really a long run or a good run, moreso just to get the blood flowing and tack on run #3 for last week.

I took Sunday off and got in a really strong run on Monday. Tuesday was a bust b/c I was in the car driving to NJ for a funeral. When you wake up at 4:30, there's really no room to wake up "earlier" for a run.

Yesterday I did an evening run on the trail behind my office - which I haven't run on in forever. Did about three miles - all of which sucked. I mean, mile one felt good, but when does it not?

Got another run planned for tonight, hopefully one in the morning, and then two this holiday weekend.

I'm trying this new breathing technique I read about the other day. It's basically yoga breathing, where you fill up your belly and diaphragm with one long slow breath through your nose, and then exhale everything in your lungs while you run. Breathe, repeat.

It takes about three strides on either end of this breath, and it's a vast change from panting. I honestly feel stronger. It just takes some discipline to do. Because when you're powering up a hill all you want to do is take short, quick breaths. So maintaining the slow breathing at this time takes some effort - but it's worth it.

Plus when I run by people and I don't sound like a dying horse, I feel better about myself. And they look less alarmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment