Monday, October 11, 2010

The 5K From Hell

Run: 3.1 miles
Time: 32:24
Mood: Self-hating

I thought I could use a smaller race to get myself into race mode for the 10K in a few weeks. So I signed up for a local 5K for this past Sunday.

Even though I ran it 30 seconds faster than my previous 5K in July - it sucked.


Thanks for coming out, ladies.

Here's what we learned:

1. Don't drink the entire bottle of Reisling that your mom brings to your house the night before. It might seem like a good idea at the time. It might taste fruity and delicious. But it is a bad idea.

2. Do hydrate the day before. Like a jackass, I drank maybe two glasses of water on Saturday.

3. Don't skip three days of runs right before a race. Just because you ran 4 miles on Wednesday doesn't mean you can take off Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

4. Do high-five the 5 year old who passes you during mile two.

5. Do not listen to your roommates make fun of you for said 5 year old finishing before you (they're just jealous they didn't run it, too).

6. That pain in your side? It's called Karma. Now you've been introduced.

I do thank my lovely roomates (and Allison) who came to watch and cheer me on at the finish.

3 comments:

  1. Am officially one of those creepsy interweb lurkers, even though you know who i am. so it's time to emerge. i'm simply adoring reading about your journey to marathon. kudos on your 5k, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 5k (even though it was painful to get through)! Reading about your runs inspires my lazy butt to run too.

    ReplyDelete