Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Doggy Park!

Run: 1.8 miles run + 1.8 miles walked
Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes - 12 minute pace for run
Mood: Breezy

Gunner and I headed out at around 5:45 this morning for a nice, long run. Or, well, what I consider a "long" run these days.

My goal was to do two miles. I was planning on turning around at the 1.5 mile mark and running another half mile back. But once I saw we were getting close to the park we go to on the weekends, I decided to keep running to Gunner's favorite dog park. Gunner, of course, knew exactly where we were and started running like a husky attached to a dog sled where the dogs are straining against their harnesses trying to pull the sled. We all know who was the sled in this scenario.

The dog park ended up being a little over 1.8 miles from the house. 

Gunner played with his new friends, Milo and Butch, and I got a few dog-training tips from their person, Judy. She gave me a few treats for Gunner and then he and I headed back to the apartment.

I paused my Run Keeper app once we got to the dog park b/c we weren't running anymore. I also managed to remember to pause it when we stopped running for Gunner's bathroom breaks.

I did learn, though, that I need to "end" the workout on Run Keeper when we stop running instead of pausing it. Otherwise, when I "end" the workout once we're back home, Run Keeper thinks I magically made it the almost two miles home by osmosis. It literally tracks the shortest distance between where I paused the workout at the dog park and where I hit "end" back at the apartment - a straight line, over buildings and creeks, etc. However, the app keeps the paused time the same. As you can see in the above photo, it thinks I did 2.88 miles at an 8:40 pace.

In your dreams, Run Keeper. In your dreams.

By the time we got back to the apartment it was exactly 7 a.m. and mommy had to hurry up to get ready for work. Gunner, meanwhile, went right back to bed.

Now I only need to tack on about 4 more miles in time for our 10K in 5 weeks!

I will note that I've stuck with my new morning routine of the 5:30 a.m. wake-up. I get up with Scott and even if I don't get a run in, I make dinner in advance and take Gunner for a nice long walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment